Pro Dental Care
General, Cosmetic, & Implant Dentistry
located in South Elgin, IL & Sleepy Hollow, IL
Dental crowns are one of the most versatile treatments available. Because they work as both a restorative dentistry and cosmetic dentistry procedure, crowns can be used to repair and beautify teeth simultaneously, and they are available from Pro Dental Care located in South Elgin, IL, and Sleepy Hollow, IL. Whether you have an oral health problem or just want to make a tooth look better, a dental crown may be the right choice for you.
Dental Problems Fixed with a Porcelain Crown
Tooth-shaped and tooth-colored, dental crowns are also known as caps. They are customized to your mouth and to match your other teeth, serving as excellent concealment and repair for problems like:
- Cracked or fractured teeth: When a tooth is damaged, it needs to be covered immediately with a crown so bacteria and food particles do not invade the interior and lead to even more severe and painful complications.
- Worn teeth: A tooth that has seen better days can be reinforced with a customized crown that covers the worn area and creates a robust tooth.
- Damaged fillings: If an old filling is loose or falls out, it often takes some healthy tooth enamel with it. A crown ensures that the entire tooth is repaired completely.
- Large area of tooth decay: When a cavity is so large that a tooth-colored filling could not repair it and make the tooth more robust, a crown can cover the whole problem area.
- Tooth after root canal therapy: A tooth that has a deep infection and requires root canal therapy must then be covered with a crown to restore its shape and protect it from further complications.
- Misshapen teeth: Tired of that misshapen or oddly shaped tooth? Your dentist can prep the tooth, building it up or filing it down before putting a customized crown in place to conceal all the unsightliness.
- Stained or discolored teeth: Some teeth cannot be whitened with professional whitening treatments but a porcelain crown can effectively cover stubborn stains or discoloration.
The Dental Crown Procedure
Dental crowns are durable, long-lasting, and designed to blend into the rest of your smile. The solution usually takes two visits to your Pro Dental Care office to complete and it typically works like this:
- Preparation: The problem tooth is prepped for repair. This may mean reshaping and oddly shaped tooth, removing tooth decay, or conducting root canal therapy.
- Development: Your dentist takes an impression of your mouth and sends this information along with digital images and detailed instructions to the dental lab so your crown can be custom-made in color, shape, and size so it looks natural. While you wait for the permanent crown – this can take up to two weeks – a temporary one is put in place.
- Completion: When the crown is ready, it will be tested in appearance, size, and shape to ensure that it fits properly and looks right. Then it is bonded permanently to the damaged tooth. Crowns, when taken care of, can last for decades.
Get a Dental Crown in South Elgin or Sleepy Hollow, IL
Dental crowns can be made using all porcelain, porcelain-fused-to-metal, ceramic zirconia, or metal by itself. Your unique restoration will depend on the condition of your tooth, your feelings about and tolerance of certain materials, your budget, and your dentist’s recommendations.
At Pro Dental Care, we work with our patients to develop smile makeovers that give them the repair they need so they can feel good about their teeth and smile. If you suspect you need a porcelain crown or have a dental problem that requires an expert eye, schedule a consultation at our Sleepy Hollow or our South Elgin office to discuss your concerns and learn more about dental crowns.