Pro Dental Care
General, Cosmetic, & Implant Dentistry
located in South Elgin, IL & Sleepy Hollow, IL
Dental veneers are a powerful cosmetic dentistry treatment that transforms a person’s teeth as well as their entire look. You can identify many celebrities and public figures who have opted for veneers to makeover their smiles, but this procedure is also an option for anyone who is ready to upgrade their teeth. Pro Dental Care in South Elgin, IL, and Sleepy Hollow, IL, offers porcelain veneers smile makeovers to qualified patients.
What Are Veneers?
Dental veneers are thin, porcelain shells that are customized to fit over the surface of your teeth. Each veneer is uniquely designed to improve the appearance of your teeth. Here are the characteristics considered for each veneers patient:
- Size: You don’t want veneers that are too big because they can look fake. When done properly, these small shells are made to be just the right size for each tooth – cohesive but not identical.
- Shape: Some people want square-shaped teeth, others want round. Listen to the advice of your dentist about what shape is best for your face and mouth to create a symmetrical smile.
- Length: Many people get veneers to correct short teeth, but these cosmetic shields are adjusted carefully to just the right length so they look and feel natural.
- Color: Many people desire bright white, but there are several types of white. Super-white may not be the most flattering or natural-looking option, but your dentist will find the color that is.
- Translucency: Your veneers will be translucent, letting light in, and letting natural tooth enamel come through. It’s a delicate balance to consider these factors and still get the shading and translucency right on each veneer.
When your smile makeover is complete, you will have natural-looking teeth that are aligned into a new smile.
Problems Fixed by Veneers
Veneers are a cosmetic dentistry treatment, but they can fix many oral health problems that may seem like they require a dental restoration or even orthodontics to repair. Typically, this cosmetic dentistry procedure is often the best solution for the following issues:
- Crooked teeth
- Stained or discolored teeth
- Worn tooth enamel
- Gapped teeth
- Misaligned teeth
- Misshapen teeth
The Veneer Procedure
Getting veneers usually takes at least two visits to your cosmetic dentist. Here is what you can expect from start to finish:
- Consultation: Every dental treatment begins with an exam. Your South Elgin dentist will review the health of your teeth and gums to make sure they are strong and free of decay or gum disease, ask about your hopes for your smile, and make recommendations for a smile makeover, which may include porcelain veneers.
- Design: If you qualify for this cosmetic dentistry procedure, your dentist will work with you to develop each personalized veneer in size, shape, color, and composition. This is also the time to decide how many veneers you will have across your top teeth – eight is a common recommendation.
- Preparation: A small portion of tooth enamel must be filed down and reshaped for the veneer to fit in place without looking bulky.
- Creation: Once all the elements of your procedure have been decided upon, a dental impression is taken and sent to the lab along with digital images and your dentist’s instructions so your customized treatment can be fabricated. Temporary veneers may be put in place while you wait for the final product – about two weeks.
- Bonding: When your veneers are ready, the thin porcelain shields are checked for fit and color then permanently bonded to the front of your teeth and hardened with a curing light.
Are Veneers Right for You?
Porcelain veneers can last for decades with proper at-home oral hygiene and regular visits to your dentist. If you’re ready to find out if you’re a candidate for this amazing smile makeover, schedule a consultation with Pro Dental Care in South Elgin or Sleepy Hollow, IL.